Friday, January 14, 2005

Snow Days

I will be out of town Saturday through Monday on our annual youth ski trip. So unless I change my mind and take my computer, there will be no entries for that period. (Do I hear a collective sigh of disappointment, or is that relief?)
Here is what I am thinking about: Is it true that small changes (especially if continued over a long period of time) can yield enormous results?
Is this true with our health? Instead of going Adkins-crazy, can we just put back the seconds? Does taking the steps instead of the elevator really matter?
Is it true financially? I saw an article on AOL that claimed that you could pay off $8000 in debt in 3 years with $10 per day. Of course, $10 per day is $300 per month. Maybe that's not so small.
Is it true spiritually? If I add just a few moments each day of silence, will it change me? If I read just a few verses of Scripture, will it matter? If I pick up a small habit like praying the Prayer of St Francis or the Serenity Prayer every morning (and evening?--or one each?); will this bring me measurably closer to God? Will this improve the quality of my spiritual life?
The way I see it, there is only one way to find out: try it. We can be skeptical and stay just where and how and who we are, or we can at least try small changes that we have a hope of sticking with. Why don't we try to small changes and re-evaluate at Easter?

No comments: