Thursday, May 01, 2008

What Did Jesus Say about Religion?

This is our study for this week in the Refuge. I found it interesting last week when I read some thoughts by a Jewish scholar. He held that Jesus really didn't have any problems with the Pharisees (I don't know where he got that) and that the Jewish leaders had nothing to do with the crucifixion. This guy said that the Romans were all alone in crucifying Jesus and that the later followers of Jesus just put it on the Jews because they were afraid of the Romans. Now, I am no anti-Semitic-the Passion-0f-the-Christ-lets-blame-the-Jews person. But, you have to cut out an awful lot of Scripture to say that Jesus got along with the Pharisees.
In fact, he didn't. His exchanges with them form a good part of the basis for our study.
Also, some people say that Jesus never intended to start a religion (Christianity). What do you think? I'll give my answer Sunday. The worship bulletin is here.

No comments: