Thursday, February 10, 2005

Fear

Last night at the Ash Wednesday service, I practiced the process for forming a breath prayer that Ron DelBene teaches and that I gave out in worship a few weeks ago. The center piece is imagining yourself in the presence of God--maybe in the form of Jesus--and God/Jesus asks you, "What do you want me to do for you?" What is your answer? What response comes leaping out of your soul? For me last night it was, "Banish my fear." To form a breath prayer, you couple the need (fear) and the verb (banish) with a name for God. For some reason, I chose Holy Father. So my breath prayer was fully formed and is: "Holy Father, banish my fear." I purposed to use this breath prayer throughout Lent, or until God released me from it. What do you fear? What is fear keeping you from?

No comments: